The open road on two wheels is exhilarating, but it can also be dangerous. The right motorcycle insurance is essential. Read what our experts have to say!
What You Need to Know About Motorcycle Insurance
The open road on two wheels is exhilarating, but it can also be dangerous. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, motorcycle riders are 30 times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash than drivers of larger vehicles. The right insurance coverage is essential to protect yourself, your passengers, other drivers, and your motorcycle. The insurance experts at Media Benefits Insurance Services*, a First Entertainment Credit Union subsidiary, share this vital information on motorcycle insurance.
Most states require you to have standard coverage with a minimum amount of liability coverage. If you ride without insurance or lack the proper coverage, you could be fined, have your license revoked, suffer a court-ordered financial judgment, or even land in jail.
The Right Motorcycle Insurance Coverage is Essential
There are several types of coverage that you’ll want to make sure you have, including:
- Liability – Pays for property damage and injuries to another person when you are at fault. It doesn’t cover injury to you or damage to your motorcycle. MedPay or PIP protects you and your passengers injured on your bike regardless of fault.
- Uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage – Pays for medical bills and other expenses for you and your passenger if you’re in an accident caused by a driver that doesn’t have liability or enough liability.
- Collision – Pays for damage to your motorcycle minus your deductible.
- Comprehensive – Pays for damage caused by something other than an auto collision or if your motorcycle is stolen.
There are other types of coverage you may also want to consider, including:
- Trip interruption coverage – Pays for lodging, transportation, and food if your motorcycle is damaged in a collision far from home.
- Coverage for custom parts, equipment, and accessories – Riders with a custom motorcycle should consider this insurance if they have put a lot of money into personal touches.
- Transport trailer coverage – Coverage for trailers.
- Roadside assistance – Pays for towing and labor at the site where your motorcycle breaks down.
- Protective gear – Covers items such as helmets, riding leathers, and gloves. Riding gear isn’t cheap, but motorcycle insurance can help replace these items.
The Cost of Motorcycle Insurance
According to the Insurance Information Institute, your motorcycle insurance costs depend on several factors, including your age and driving record, where you live and store your motorcycle, the type or style of it, the age of the motorcycle, and the number of miles you ride a year. Also, you’ll need comprehensive and collision coverage if you finance your motorcycle.
Get a Motorcycle Insurance Quote from First Entertainment Credit Union Today!
With the right motorcycle coverage, you’ll be ready for almost anything that comes your way. Let our knowledgeable Media Benefits Insurance Services agents help you find the best options at the best price. Contact any one of our agents to schedule an appointment.
Cynthia Padilla, Insurance Agent, MBIS (Hollywood Branch)
Maria Okafor, Insurance Agent, MBIS (Burbank Branch)
Monique Garcia, Insurance Agent, MBIS (Culver City Branch)
Media Benefits Insurance Services
6735 Forest Lawn Dr., Hollywood, CA 90068
Insurance services offered through Media Benefits Insurance Services CA Lic#0H99393, a DBA for Media Benefits Corp., which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of First Entertainment Credit Union. This content is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing professional, financial, medical, or legal advice. You should contact your licensed professional to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.