When you’re searching for an apartment, there are many factors that you should consider before signing on the dotted line. And equally important is finding the right renters insurance to protect you and your belongings.
To help with your search and protection, the insurance experts at Media Benefits Insurance Services* have developed this essential information for finding an apartment and protecting it with renters insurance.
This list will help you decide if this is the right living situation for you:
- Do you feel safe in the surrounding area at different times of the day?
- Is there a good security presence, such as cameras, gates, and a locked entry?
- Is there 24-hour maintenance to help with problems you encounter regardless of the time of day?
- Are the common areas, such as the laundry rooms, elevators, and storage areas, well-kept and secure?
- Will you be responsible for outdoor maintenance, or is it included?
- Are there any signs of rodent or bug infestations, and is there a professional pest control service?
- Are the doors and windows in good condition, and do they lock properly?
- Is the plumbing in good shape? Ask about any previous plumbing issues.
- Do the bathroom and kitchen have exhaust fans and window ventilation?
- Are there sufficient electrical sockets so that you don’t overload them?
- Are there fire and carbon monoxide detectors on every level and outside all sleeping areas?
- Ask if there is any lead-based paint. Property owners are required to let you know.
- Are there any signs of water damage or mold?
- Is the flooring clean and damage-free?
- Is there good mobile phone reception and reliable internet access?
- Would you be comfortable working from home if you work remotely?
- Is the parking situation adequate and safe?
- How will your commute be?
- Is there a lot of noise, including any barking dogs?
- Introduce yourself to a potential neighbor to see what they think about living there.
Renters Insurance Overview
Renters insurance is a necessity because the property owner’s insurance will not cover you or your belongings. Think about it, could you afford to replace your wardrobe, furniture, phone, and electronics if your home caught fire? If not, then renters insurance needs to be a top priority. Here’s what you can do to protect yourself:
- Start by creating an inventory and taking pictures of your belongings, such as furniture, electronics, and jewelry.
- Keep receipts and record serial or model numbers of valuable items.
- Determine if you want your policy to cover replacement value, which uses current pricing for your belongings, or actual cash value, which is the depreciated value of your belongings.
- Make sure you have adequate coverage for medical payments if someone gets injured in your apartment and general liability in case someone sues you for personal injury or defamation.
You should also seriously consider these essential add-on coverages:
- Additional living expenses to cover relocation if you have to vacate your apartment for repairs
- Flooding if you’re in a basement or first-floor apartment, and your storage area too
- Sewer backups
- Electronics and jewelry if they are more valuable than the standard coverage of $2,500
Get a Free Quote from First Entertainment Credit Union Today!
Getting a free quote for renter’s insurance is easy. And, if you bundle renter’s insurance with your auto insurance, you’ll save even more. Let one of our insurance agents conduct a free coverage check-up. They will recommend the coverage you need at the best rates.
Call or email one of our MBIS Agents today!
Cynthia Padilla 323-845-4489 / email@example.com
Maria Okafor 323-845-4494 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Or, if you prefer, you can get a free online quote now.
Insurance services offered through Media Benefits Insurance Services CA Lic#0H99393, a DBA for Media Benefits Corp., which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of First Entertainment Credit Union.