Protection From Wildfires And Earthquakes Is A Must | First Entertainment Credit Union

Protection From Wildfires And Earthquakes Is A Must!

Both earthquakes and wildfires can happen at any given moment in California, and they have the potential to cause devastating damage to homes, property, and finances. There is a 99% chance of a magnitude 6.7 or greater earthquake striking according to the Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast . And then there’s the wildfires; between 2012-2021, 7.9 million acres burned, which is more than triple the amount of wildfires in the previous decade.

With the likelihood of these disasters, it is critical that California residents protect their property. Your best defense against damages or complete losses is to have appropriate insurance coverage. Think about it - what if you had to use your hard-earned life savings to repair damages? Or even worse, what would happen if you don’t have the funds to make repairs or replace your home?

How to Protect Your Property from Wildfires

Damage and losses from wildfires are covered under standard homeowners, renters, and business owners’ insurance, as well as the comprehensive portion of an auto policy. Additionally, if firefighters cause water or other damage while protecting your property from a wildfire, that will also be covered.

It’s extremely important that you review your policy every year to make sure you have adequate coverage limits, which is the maximum amount the insurance company will pay to replace or repair your property after a loss. This is especially important if you've made upgrades or acquired new possessions.

You will want to confirm that the following is covered in the event of a wildfire:

  • Your home and any outbuildings, such as a garage or shed.
  • If you live in a condominium, check the lease or bylaws to understand what the condo association covers versus what you are expected to insure.
  • Your possessions. In addition to losses from the wildfire, your policy should also include theft or vandalism, which can occur with post-wildfire looting.
  • Additional living expenses. If your home, apartment, or condo becomes uninhabitable after a wildfire, this would cover rent and food until your living space is restored or replaced.

You should also confirm that your auto insurance covers both fire damage and vandalism. These fall under “comprehensive” coverage but are not automatically included in auto policies.

The cost of your homeowner’s policy is tied to specific factors of your individual address, including:

  • The amount of vegetation that a fire could use as fuel
  • The grade (or steepness) of your property
  • The ease of access firefighters have in getting their equipment to your home

Also, make sure that you have a comprehensive and documented inventory of your possessions so that you can recover as much as possible after a wildfire.

How to Protect Your Property from Earthquakes

While a minor quake may only break some windows and dishes, a major earthquake can cause catastrophic damage to your home's structure and foundation, which can be financially devastating. Basic homeowners and renters insurance policies don't cover earthquake damage, so you will be responsible for the costs of repairing your home and replacing your belongings.

If you don’t have a residential earthquake insurance policy, it's time to consider purchasing a policy to protect your property and belongings, including: 

  • Repairs to your home/mobile home/condo unit.
  • Costs of living elsewhere while repairs are being made to your home.
  • Replacement of the valuable contents in the home you own or rent.

Let the Insurance Experts at First Entertainment Credit Union Help You Today!

Contact one of our agents* today for a free coverage check and quote. Our agents will find you the best rates, as well as bundling discounts, for all of your insurance needs, including earthquake, homeowners, and auto coverage.

  • Cynthia Padilla (Main Office/Hollywood) - 323-845-4489
  • Maria Valdez Okafor (Burbank Branch) - 323-845-4494

You can schedule an appointment, get an insurance checkup over the phone, or stop by to see our agents personally in either our Main Office on Forest Lawn Drive or our Burbank Branch on Olive Avenue. Our insurance agents can help give you peace of mind that your family and your home are protected.

* Insurance services offered through Media Benefits Insurance Services CA Lic#0H99393, a DBA for Media Benefits Corp., which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of First Entertainment Credit Union.