• If you love watching stuff on YouTube, well, you’re not exactly alone. In fact, there are over a billion people you have something in common with. One b-i-l-l-i-o-n. But as mind- boggling as that number is, it gets even more stupefying. Just during the time you read this paragraph, about 400 hours of video was uploaded to YouTube. Here are some more amazing facts:
- YouTube's 1 billion viewers account for nearly 1/3 of all internet users.
- Viewers watch approximately 1 billion hours of videos every day.
- The aforementioned 400 hours of video uploaded per minute adds up to 65.7 years of content being added to the site every day.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world, right behind Google.
- YouTube is compatible with 76 languages and has localized version for at least 88 different countries.
- More content is uploaded to YouTube every two months than the three major U.S. television networks created over their first 60 years.
- YouTube began life as a dating site, which according to some insiders, was originally named “Tune In, Hook Up.”
- A mere 18 months after YouTube started, Google bought it for $1.65 billion in stocks.
- YouTube offers free production space in Los Angeles to anyone with over 10,000 subscribers.
- You can see the only known video of Anne Frank on YouTube as she leans out of a window to watch a wedding.
- Psy's "Gangnam Style" is the most watched YouTube video ever, with nearly 2.7 billion views. In fact, the 5 most-watched YouTube videos of all-time are music videos:
1. "Gangnam Style” by Korean rapper PSY (2.7 billion views)
2. “See You Again” by Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth (2.4 billion views)
3. “Sorry” by Justin Bieber (2.2 billion views)
4. “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars (2.1 billion views)
5. “Blank Space” by Taylor Swift (1.9 billion views)
Check out our YouTube Channel!