Aw, your beautiful phone. It’s basically become an extension of your body, are we wrong? You rely on it for everything. And now, with the new iPhone 6, and with the incredible video capabilities of the iPhone 6 Plus (have you seen the video stabilization? It’s crazy good!) you can do more than ever.
Today, we’re going to skim across a few of the best apps out there to make your show biz life a little easier. There are many more worth exploring, but these are a few of our favorites.
While many of these apps work on both Android and Apple platforms, we’re going to lean on the Apple side, since that’s what most of you are using, and since their app ecosystem is so much richer.
Here goes. Roll camera!
This is a must-have. It’s like the Wikipedia of our industry. Optimized for quick searching, this is the go-to app when you’re trying to look up an actor’s credits, figure out the name of the director you just met, or find movie times in your area.
iMovie lets you make Beautiful HD movies on the go.This feature-rich video editing app lets you create complete short films, and it includes some very cool pre-built Hollywood trailers. There’s even an iMovie Film Festival!
Mark II Artist’s Viewfinder—$24.99
Artist’s Viewfinder assists the filmmaker or still photographer in exploring different places and angles to find the optimal placement for the camera and to second-guess compositions. By simulating real camera and lens combinations it allows you to visualize what you are going to shoot without actually setting up the camera. And it’s a great tool to train yourself to “see”. You can find a complete list of Mark II’s features here, in this free e-book: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/handbook/
Geminos Lens Matcher—$2.99
Geminos is a tool that matches the field of view of two different cameras by displaying the corresponding focal lengths. This is useful when working with mixed sensor sizes and much more accurate than calculation with a simple crop factor. The app will show you the matching horizontal and vertical focal lengths, so you can even operate with different aspect ratios. Geminos also displays a proportionally accurate graphical representation of the sensor sizes and the horizontal/vertical match.
Turn your iPhone into a magic lens. Point it at the sky to understand where the sun will be and when it will be there.
The two-time winner of Video Camera App of the Year offers full manual control, motion FX and world class image processing that beat the $5000 Sony FS100 and tied the $13,000 Canon C300 in blind audience testing at the Zacuto: Revenge of the Great Camera Shoot Out.
Best Video Camera App 2012 – Best App Ever Awards
Best Video Camera App 2011 – TUAW, Editors Pick
Best App Ever finalist – Tap! Magazine
Gizmodo Essential App; 2011, 2012
5 Stars, Editors Review, cnet.com
App of the Week: Time.com/Techland
Editors Choice – Wired, Film Riot, Macworld
FiLMiC Pro turns your iOS camera into a broadcast-worthy 2K HD video camera. The app boasts variable speed zoom, audio gain control, and variable frame rates up to 240fps on newest devices. With full manual control over focus, exposure, ISO, shutter speed, tint and color temperature you may never need another video camera again. Additionally, FiLMiC Pro has a ton of professional tools such as audiometers, stereo microphone support, informative thirds guide and aspect ratio overlays. And for the truly creative a variety of resolutions and aspect ratios including 2K, Cinemascope, Letterbox as Super 35 and Super 16 aspect ratios are available. This app has everything you need to create your own movie, documentary, news story, music video, or travelogue.
- 2K Resolutions
- Full Manual Controls
- Shutter Speed
- Pulling Focus
- Unique Hybrid Shooting Modes
- High Powered Action Slider for Live Shooting Adjustments
- Support for 240fps on iPhone 6/6+
- New Slow and Fast Motion FX options
- 17:9 Digital Cinema Aspect Ratios
- Additional Widescreen and Super 16 Aspect Ratios
- Audio Gain Control
VideoGrade – Color Editor for HD Video—$4.99
VideoGrade is a powerful color-grading tool for your videos. It features 11 high quality filters that will let you adjust the image on your videos in any way you can imagine. VideoGrade is built with freedom in mind: you will have total control over each of the filters. Whether you want to radically change the look of your videos, correct defects like color cast or poor lighting or subtly enhance them, VideoGrade has the tools you need.
VideoGrade gives you all the information you need while editing: realtime previews of how the video will look, color channels histograms, clipping previews and-split screen mode for comparing the edited video with the original.
All the freedom VideoGrade gives is presented in a clean, beautiful and easy to use interface. Under the hood, VideoGrade features a powerful render engine that takes maximum advantage of your device to process HD videos quickly.
- Color correct any video recorded with (or synchronized to) your device easily.
- Export your videos in Full HD (1080p, only available for iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and the new iPad), HD (720p) or choose between the other export presets. [Export resolution is limited by the resolution of the original video].
- Enhance or radically transform your videos with 11 different filters: Exposure, Contrast, Vibrancy, Color Temperature, Brightness, Recovery, Saturation, B&W, Channel Mixer, Vignette and Tint.
- Preview video images, color histograms, and clipping previews in real-time. or compare multiples images using the split mode.
- Save your favorite adjustments with the preset functionality.
- Process videos at lightning speed with the smart rendering engine.
- Capture frames from your videos and save them as images.
DGA Quarterly—$1.99 with in-app purchases
The DGA Quarterly is the craft journal of the Directors Guild of America and features contemporary and historical stories about film and TV directors and their teams. Included in each issue is the DGA Interview, a conversation with a major filmmaker such as Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese and Clint Eastwood. In Screening Room, directors such as P.T. Anderson, Nancy Meyers and Darren Aronofsky guide readers through the films that have influenced their career. The Quarterly goes on the set with directors and assistant directors of top TV series including True Blood, Iron Chef, and Friday Night Lights to show how the job is really done. Rare behind-the-scenes photographs reflect the work of individual directors (Hitchcock, Coppola, Ford) or themes (Road Movies, Musicals, Classic Comedies) in Photo Essay. Another ongoing feature is Shot to Remember in which prominent directors explain how they staged and shot an iconic scene in one of their films. With regular profiles of independent filmmakers, technology updates, and essays on current industry issues by award-winning writers, the DGA Quarterly offers first-class journalism and spectacular photography for an inside look at the art and craft of directing film and television from the people who do it. Newsstand price is $8 per issue; subscriptions in U.S. are $32 a year.
*Purchase price includes the current issue as a complimentary download of the magazine.
Shotlister – Film Schedule Tool—$13.99 with in-app purchases
Shot Lister is a professional shot list and scheduling app.
Shot Lister handles the art of shot listing from pre-production to the minute-by-minute decisions on set. It’s designed by experienced filmmakers to deliver the only solution that can build, organize, schedule and share shot lists and shooting schedules digitally.
Shooting a film never goes to plan. Now, instead of scribbling over your printed out spreadsheet, you can get back on track with a flick of a finger.
Shot Lister comes with two options:
SHOT LISTER which is more than capable of handling most indie productions and includes the ability to add hundreds of scenes and thousands of shots, customizable categories & multi-cam support. This is a one-time purchase of $13.99 & all updates are free.
SHOT LISTER PRO is for more complex productions that require specific features that are more expensive to build, like importing scripts, adding storyboards, circling takes and syncing files. Shot Lister Pro is an optional in-app purchase with an annual subscription of $13.99, which can be cancelled at any time. Subscribers really help bring new features much sooner for both Shot Lister and Shot Lister Pro.
- Easily organize and store hundreds of scenes and thousands of shots with the flick of a finger. We support scene letter revisions, 1/8 page counts, “i” and “o” exclusion, and cast breakdown tracking—All to fit a variety of professional workflows.
- Easily create a shooting schedule on a shot by shot and minute-by-minute basis. Rearrange scenes in Stripboard view, and easily check what is yet to be shot or scheduled.
- Experience the truly ground breaking “Live” production mode to see exactly how you are doing to the minute, and re-organize the day in a matter of seconds. Let Shot Lister show you exactly how many minutes ahead or behind you are.
“Storyboard app for iphone. Very cool”
- Wes Craven (Twitter)
“Inspiring and great for the director in me.”
- Neil Patrick Harris (Fortune Magazine)
Cinemek Storyboard Composer is a mobile storyboard and pre-visualization composer designed for Directors, Directors of Photography, Producers, Writers, Animators, Art Directors, film students and anyone who wants to be able to visualize their story.
It is the world’s first mobile storyboarding application which allows you to acquire photos with your phone or by Artemis Directors Finder for iPhone, then add traditional storyboarding markups such as dolly, track, zoom and pan. You can even add your own stand-ins. The user can set the duration for each storyboard panel and then play it back to get real time feedback on pacing and framing.
- Add and arrange images in an intuitive GUI interface.
- Re-arrange panels in any order you choose.
- Keep your boards up-to-date with the handy auto-save feature.
- Set user defined “duration” for each panel in Minutes/Seconds/Frames.
- Markup camera moves easily and smoothly with an intuitive Multi-touch interface
- Add Audio Clips to each panel for dialogue or audio notes.
- Add notes and scene description to panels.
- Selects shots and scenes with picker wheels.
- Playback clips in real-time.
- Export and email a PDF of the storyboard for distribution.
- Export QuickTime Movie of Storyboard
Index Card is a corkboard writing app that makes it easy to capture, organize, and compile your ideas. Whether you are an author, screenwriter, or academic researcher, Index Card can help you become a more efficient, organized writer.
“I love your program!!!! Great for screenwriting.” – Jesse Alexander, Emmy-winning Co-Executive Producer, LOST
“A fabulous app that helps me create and organize my business keynote speeches.” – Micah Solomon, #1 Bestselling Author
“Love your app. I am using it now to structure my new feature script.” – Måns Mårlind, Writer / Director, Underworld Awakening
- Capture your ideas and store notes as they come to you.
- Organize the flow of your project using a familiar corkboard interface.
- Assign color labels to flag scenes, characters, or status.
- Develop multiple separate projects.
- Edit card title, synopsis, notes, text, color label and more….
- Touch and drag a card to reorder.
- Tap a card to open it for editing.
- Swipe the editing screen to navigate through your project, one card at a time.
- Scroll the card list to browse your entire project.
ShotList- Movie Shoot Planning—$11.99
ShotList gives you an editable production stripboard to plan every scene of your shoot—the same format that has become the industry standard for production management. It also helps track progress on a shot-by-shot basis on the day of the shoot.
Developed in co-operation with an award-winning video production company, Shotlist places an essential tool in the hands of anyone putting together a scripted movie or video shoot, at all levels of filmmaking.
ShotList stores the details, locations and notes for each scene and shot in an easily viewable and editable form. Use it to break down a script and plan out a multi-day shoot in advance – it will always be with you whenever you need to make an urgent change.
“A top-notch organizational app for filmmakers.”- AppAdvice.com
“Don’t let the simple interface give you the wrong idea. ShotList includes just about any feature you would need” – HandHeldHollywood.com
- Add, edit, delete or re-order your scenes across multiple shooting days, right from your mobile device.
- Ensure you don’t miss a vital scene or shot, by tracking progress as you go.
- Store notes for each scene, including hotlinks for instant dial-up of critical phone numbers and web addresses (such as location contacts, weather reports, or tide timetables).
- Store up to 26 shots per scene, with storyboard images, notes, shot type, angle, movement, camera and status.
- Keep your team informed of changes, by emailing them a detailed PDF or oneline schedule directly from the app.
“MovieSlate® is the Rolls-Royce of slates” says HandHeldHollywood.com. A convenient, all-in-one digital slate, clapper board, shot log, and notepad is used for film, TV, documentaries, music videos, and interviews, this professional production tool is the easy way to log footage and take notes as you shoot— saving you valuable time later when capturing/editing footage, and creating reports. All at a mere fraction of a bulky digital clapperboard’s cost.
Tap a field to edit production info. Choose info from default/custom snippets, contacts, or saved history. Enter new info with the keyboard. Use the optimized keypad to quickly enter numeric info like: roll, scene, take, timecode. Or swipe up/down on fields to increment/decrement numbers.
- Setting timecode is simple and fast using our specialized keypad. Sync timecode to the clock, or between multiple iOS Devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod touch) via Bluetooth– or with a song from your iTunes music library (for use in “Music Video” mode).
- Simultaneously log data and shot notes for up to 26 cameras.
- Easily log all sound department data, and quickly generate comprehensive Sound Reports.
- To begin a shot, photograph the slate’s production info, then tap the clapper sticks. The sticks open and clap closed, creating an audible/visible marker. All slate data is logged to history. Optional credits animations briefly display each production field, full screen.
- For each shot you can: circle a take, rate sound/picture quality, write multiple shot notes, record voice notes, and take picture notes. For example: when shooting interviews you can create notes to mark timecode when a particular question was asked or something remarkable was said. Enter notes using the microphone, camera, keyboard— or insert snippet phrases (such as “Interview”, “Question”, or “Tail Sticks”).
- Customize MovieSlate’s behavior and appearance to suit your workflow and tastes. Choose behaviors, sounds, and themes (clapper stick designs, backgrounds, fonts, and colors)— even display your production logo on the slate and in reports.
CollabraCam™: Multicam Social Video Production—$4.99
IPHONE AND IPAD
CollabraCam is the world’s first multi camera video production iPhone app with live editing and director-to-camera communication.
CollabraCam provides a quick, easy and fun way to shoot and simultaneously edit live video from multiple cameras using iPhones, iPod Touches and iPad 2. CollabraCam links iOS devices running the app over local Wi-Fi to create a video switcher and communication control room with a simple, yet powerful, live video editing workflow.
You and your crew will produce dynamic videos with minimal post-production. As the director, you can view, record and edit from up to four live-streaming iOS cameras in real-time while also having the ability to silently cue the camera operators to perform pan, track, dolly or tilt camera moves or request a high or low angle.
Video clips are recorded and saved to the cameras and transferred to the director at the end of a session. When the director calls it a wrap and saves the session, the clips are transferred from the cameras and assembled in a matter of minutes.
- Direct a multi-camera video on any iOS device over Wi-Fi.
- Connect with up to four iPhone, iPod Touch 4G or iPad 2 cameras.
- View, record and edit streaming video on-the-fly, in real-time.
- Record from one camera and queue another camera on standby.
- Send camera move or angle cue communication to camera operators.
- Credits are automatically generated when a session is saved.
Ideas strike wherever you are. Be prepared with StorySkeleton, the nicely rated mapping and organizational tool for iPad and iPhone.
Create the structure for your project with StorySkeleton’s snappy and finger-friendly interface. Export to a variety of useful formats, including native Scrivener and Final Draft documents.
As opposed to apps designed for writing out your entire screenplay on your phone, the idea behind StorySkeleton is to touch-type LESS. You can type cards in short bursts, by writing brief sentences or quick reminders for yourself, wherever you are. Then when you export to Final Draft, Scrivener, or any of the other export formats, you can use your full keyboard and your large monitor, and write directly on top of your StorySkeleton index cards, as fast as you can with a full-size keyboard – but with the added speed of having all your structure down, knowing both where you’re going and what you want to say.
• Quickly swipe from card to card, enter text content, character and scene descriptions, move cards to reorganize – anything you can do with a regular stack of index cards, and more.
Movie Magic Scheduling To Go—Free
Movie Magic Scheduling To Go provides a flexible, accurate and efficient companion solution to the desktop version of Movie Magic Scheduling 5 and Movie Magic Scheduling 6 for use on the iPad. MMS To Go allows you to make changes to your existing schedule in a simple touch screen interface.
For many users, this is a must-have app.
Final Draft Writer—$29.99
Of course, you already know Final Draft. With Final Draft Writer, you can write, edit and read Final Draft scripts on your iPad. Create new scripts or edit existing ones with easy-to-use features such as Tab and Enter navigation, ScriptNotes™, SmartType™, and more. Easily move your Final Draft 9 scripts from desktop to iPad and back again. Your scripts will appear perfectly paginated and formatted to industry standards every time.
• Professionally formatted TV, film and stageplay templates to help get you started.
• Automatic “More” and “Continued”.
• SmartType remembers your character names, scene headings, and more.
• Quickly change elements with Tab and Enter quick-navigation.
• Go paperless and carry all your scripts with you everywhere you go.
• Character highlighting allows you to keep track of your characters for table reads or character development.
• Shows active or collated revisions with colored pages.
• Includes production features like scene numbering and locked pages.
• Quickly switch from one revision set to another.
• Add, categorize, and edit ScriptNotes™.
• Add, categorize, and edit General Notes™.
• Easily add text and paragraph styles to your script.
• Track key information with Cast Reports, Scene Reports, Location Reports, and more.
• Export to PDF.
• Bluetooth keyboard compatibility.
• Prints watermarked PDFs created in Final Draft 9.
• Preserves new Final Draft 9 data such as Cast List, Character Arc Beats, and more.
Crew Time Card—$1.99
This timesaver for industry crew workers features:
• Track your call/wrap/meals daily.
• Add categorized daily expenses for meal, misc., or mileage.
• Take daily notes.
• Keep track of individual or loan out time cards.
• Save and load your weeks.
• Track your payments.
• Track your weekly earnings on the summary page.
• Uses industry standard tenths or quarters time formats.
• Prevoew and email end-of-week time cards (as PDFs).
• Set hourly rates, day rates, and guaranteed hours.
• Convert day rate to hourly.
• Calculate meal penalties with grace and NDB support.
• Keep track of daily or weekly kit fees..
• Add in ReRates.
• Keep track of nights and days greater than 24-hours.
The App is the inside track on what’s casting in LA and NY and keeps you up to date with contacts, open calls and more. You’ll find unique content everyday from well known celebs like Mark Ruffalo,Brett Ratner, Juliette Lewis, Kerry Washington, Wes Bentley and many more.
Find your dream roles, get inspired and get your career moving with the easiest, best and ONLY App created and curated by a Hollywood insider. Actor Genie has been featured on the front page of the iTunes App Store, under “How to Make a Movie” and “What’s Hot” , two years in a row.
• What’s Casting: Up-to-the-minute scoop on what’s casting in film and television.
• Who’s Who: A golden directory of agents, managers, casting directors and their assistants. Map your way to their offices, if you have an appointment.
• Today’s Take: The Genie’s insider advice and tips from well-known actors, directors, writers, producers and casting directors.
• Top Ten List: Best headshot photographers, acting gurus, places to be seen, and loads more. Must-haves for budding actors and old pros alike .
• Plus, a photobooth and video function for your own Genie headshot and a chance to video your own personal Genie “slate” all with a click of one button on your iPhone or iPad. Tell the world why you want to act!
• Register with Genie for special updates and promotions and maybe even a secret casting call or two.
This app is meant to give you up-to-the-minute information on upcoming auditions. Because it’s an app you can check it anytime and anywhere, so you’ll never miss out on that perfect opportunity. You’ll be in the loop and get audition information as it happens. Use this app to find out all the latest opportunities when it comes to theater, film, commercials, television, extras, music videos, voice-overs, and even reality TV shows. You don’t have to be the last to know about an audition; instead, you can be among the first. This gives you the opportunity to prepare that much better.
This app is ideal for those looking to break into the business or those who are still new to it. This is a great way to hear about auditions without having to rely on an agent to find them for you. Think of it as a networking tool.
• Simple to use.
• Regular audition updates.
• Quick access to information on auditions across the country.
• A robust search tool.
• Social Networking and email sharing.
• Audition bookmarks; save your favorites.
It’s a bit pricey, but you get the most advanced and full-featured professional teleprompter for the iPhone and iPad.
• Write your speaking scripts directly in Teleprompt+ using the built-in text editor, or by copying/pasting from Mail, Pages, or any other iPad app.
• Track your progress using the integrated timer display (estimate, actual, and remaining time).
• Pause, play, and adjust playback speed during prompting.
• Scroll through text during prompting using normal swipe gestures.
• Customize the following appearance and playback settings per script: scrolling speed, start countdown, timer display, font type, font size, text and background color.
• Use your iPad as a “wired remote” for an external screen/projector using the Apple Digital AV, VGA, Composite AV or Component AV Adapter.
iPerform—Free with in-app purchases
iPerform is like a personal assistant for performers. This terrific app tracks an actor’s auditions, bookings, industry-related contacts, expenses, and much more—all elegantly integrated and at your fingertips.
• Records the dates, times, locations and all the important details for your auditions, callbacks and bookings.
• Gives you driving and public transport directions.
• Records the headshot you submitted and the outfit you wore at each audition so you’re a step ahead for the callback.
• Records your mileage and finances for each project.
• And much more
You’ll never a miss another voiceover audition with iAudition 3. You can record, edit and send your auditions from wherever you are, without the need for a recording studio or computer. And the best part? Your sent audio files arrive as MP3s. Simply hit record, listen back, record more and send!
• iAudition 3 supports external microphones, so, use that AT2020 or Mikey!
• Start a recording now, add more to it later, and keep it on file to send whenever!
• Need a breather? Pause your recording and resume when you’re ready.
• Record multiple takes and edit out what you don’t need. Selecting audio is easier than ever before.
• One take wonder? No problem; just hit “send” after recording and off it goes.
Scene Partner—Free, with in-app purchases
Scene Partner® helps you memorize lines and get offbook fast. Use your own scripts or choose from a growing collection of Publisher e-Scripts from Samuel French and Dramatists Play Service.
Buy Publisher e-Scripts on the Scene Partner WebStore for as low as $9.99 — the authorized Acting Editions in Scene Partner’s digital format. Or use your own script—the conversion is only $1.99 — a one-time charge per script.
“Scene Partner is incredibly intuitive and easy to use.”—BACKSTAGE
“…forget the highlighters, flash cards and driving friends and family crazy… and take preparing for that next role to a higher level.”—Stage Magazine
• Focus the script around your character with the Cast Feature.
• Turn the text of your play into speech using the text-to-speech voices — Listen to your cues, lines or whole scenes.
• Record yourself and your fellow cast members with the built-in voice recorder.
• Highlight your script or hide your lines with one tap using the Read Feature — only $1.99.
• Make changes to your scripts on the fly* and create French Scenes with the Edit Feature — only $1.99.
The Actor’s App—$4.99
Have you ever wondered who worked at what agency? Have you ever needed detailed information on a Casting Director? This app might do the trick.
• A detailed list of Casting Directors, Talent Agents, Managers, their contact information, addresses, websites and IMDB pages all within the application.
• Career Tools include a detailed list of Photographers, Coaches, Classes and more.
• View casting notices from your favorite casting websites without having to type your username, password and filter settings every time.
Want to learn your lines? This is the app for that. Rehearsal 2, featured in the Times, Fast Company, LA Magazine and BACKSTAGE, is the entertainment industry standard for cast and crew to organize their scripts for auditions and working on set. This app has been battle-tested in Hollywood and around the world by actors on shows like Heroes, LOST, Psych, Human Target, Castle, CSI, Dexter, Outlaw, Body of Proof and more.
“I love this app! Rehearsal lets me learn my lines in the car while I drive to work. It already saved my a** when I was thrown a major new dialogue scene 45 minutes before we started shooting it. I plugged the new scene into Rehearsal and I was off book by the time I got out of the makeup chair.” -Clark Gregg (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Desperate Housewives, New Adventures of Old Christine)
“I am very pleased with the results of using Rehearsal so far. It is a powerful tool in preparing for auditions, or for days of work, especially when I am pressed for time. It is easy to use and I have no doubt that as it evolves, it will be a part of my work process for a long time.” -John Carroll Lynch (Shutter Island, Dexter, The Drew Carey Show, Body of Proof)
• Script management; Easily break down your script into your scenes.
• Highlight your lines and your scene partners’ lines in vibrant colors.
• Record your lines and play them back, watching the script scroll by like a teleprompter.
• Quickly fast forward or rewind to pick up lines simply by scrolling the script.
• Record any number of versions of scenes, exploring your character and creating new reads.
• Automatically repeat your scene over and over until you know your lines cold.
• Play peekaboo to memorize – reveal your lines in blackout mode only when you need them.
• Quickly add beat marks to divide longer passages into manageable beats
• Location scouts can create quick and easy reports
• Makeup, wardrobe and set dressers can keep track of continuity and looks from scene to scene
• Directors and cinematographers can plan shots and create on-the-fly storyboards
• Special features just for voice talent